top of page


Learn about HUD's new inspections protocol

Emergency Housing Vouchers

The DETCOG Regional Housing Authority has a limited number of Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHVs), which are special-purpose vouchers to assist individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness, at risk of homelessness, fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking or human trafficking or were recently homeless and providing rental assistance will prevent the family’s homelessness or having high risk of housing instability.

The EHVs can only be provided to families referred to DETCOG by one of the partnering service providers listed below. If you believe you may be eligible for assistance, please contact one of the service providers listed below.

We Are Paperless!!

DETCOG Regional Housing Authority will communicate with you via electronic mail. This means that HCV clients, including landlords, tenants and applicants, receive communications from DETCOG to the email accounts the agency has on file.


If you do not have an email account or would like to set up a new, free account, please check out these email providers: Google, Yahoo, Microsoft.

Important: Make sure any changes to your contact information is updated with your caseworker in writing!

Contact Us

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program (VASH)

The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program for homeless veterans combines Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) at VA medical centers and community-based outreach clinics. Homeless veterans are screened by the VA and then referred to DETCOG. 

To apply or for more information, contact:


Department of Veterans Affairs

(936) 671-4300


Veterans Affairs National Call Center

(877) 424-3838 

DETCOG VASH Coordinator 

(936) 634-2247, Ext 5335

A referral from the VA is required to participate in

and receive a VASH voucher.

  • The Salvation Army - (936) 634-5132

  • Rural Homeless Network - (409) 423-4751

  • Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) - (936) 634-2247

  • Regional 9-1-1 Network - (409) 381-5252

  • Family and Youth Services (FAYS) - (936) 634-2247

  • Brown Family Health - (936) 569-8240

Housing Choice Voucher Program


The Housing Choice Voucher Program is administered by the Housing Authority to make housing assistance payments to private landlords for eligible families, senior citizens, disabled and handicapped persons. This program enables eligible persons to rent privately owned existing, decent, safe, and sanitary housing within the DETCOG Region as well as Hardin County. There are rent subsidies available for zero, one, two, three and four bedroom homes, apartments, mobile homes, duplexes or any kind of dwelling that meets the standards set by the program.


The DETCOG jurisdiction includes the following Texas counties: Angelina County, Hardin County, Houston County (Houston County does not include Houston, TX nor any part of Harris County), Jasper County, Newton County, Polk County, Sabine County, San Augustine County, San Jacinto County, Shelby County, Trinity County and Tyler County (Tyler County does not include Tyler, TX nor any part of Smith County).


Local preferences include families who live or work within the DETCOG jurisdiction, veterans/veterans families, victims of domestic violence, and disabled families.

bottom of page